General shopping guidelines
The Israeli currency is shekel (New Israeli Shekel), See Currency in Israel (abbreviated as ILS or NIS).
The work days are Sunday through Friday, allowing for observance of the Sabbath from sundown on Friday until sundown on Saturday. On Friday, most shops will close at about 14:00-15:00. Many shops, especially in malls, will re-open on Saturday evening, around 20:30 in summer. Restaurants and cafes remain open on Saturdays.
In the Arab neighborhoods of the city, shops are generally open 7 days a week.
Shops in malls and on major shopping streets are generally open from 9:30 to 21:00 daily.
Banks and post offices, as well as some smaller shops, stick to traditional business hours of 9:00-12:00, and several times a week reopen at around 16:00 until 18:00.
Bargaining in shops and malls is improper.
Bargaining in bazaars (such as the markets in the old city of Jerusalem or in acre) and rural markets (such as the Druze villages markets) is common yet subtle. Prices in such markets may be haggled down to as low as 25% of the asking price, depends on the price, and on the amounts of items purchased.
Stores and shopping malls
Due to its mountainous terrain, Haifa does not have shopping streets. The cheap shopping areas are located in the Hadar neighborhood, however most shopping is done in the local shopping malls including the Haifa Azrieli Mall (Kenyon Azrieli Haifa) or the "Grand Kenyon" - the newest and biggest mall of the city.
In the vicinity of the conference are two small malls - the Auditorium Mall (underneath the venue) and the Panorama Mall (underneath the Panorama Hotel). Between the two are various shops located on both sides of Hanassi Avenue.
- Address: 109 Ha Nassi Avenue. Telephone: 837 5011.
- Opening hours: Sundays to Thursdays: from 09.00 – 20.00 hours; Fridays: from 09.00 – 14.00 hours.
- The Grand Kanyon is a shopping center, amusement, recreation and fun center, and general center for hanging out and having a good time, all rolled into one. In it are more than 150 shops, a covered amusement park, a SPA and 2,500 parking places.
- Opening hours: Suns to Thursdays: from 10.00 – 22.00 hours; Fridays: from 10.00 to 15.00 hours; Saturdays: from Motzei Shabbat (from the end of Shabbat) until 22.30 hours.
- Address: Simcha Golan Way, Neve Shaanan
- Phone: +972 4 8121111
- Bus numbers: 216, 5, 15, 16, 24, 28
Where can I find...
Books and Newspapers
- Steimatzky - located within the Auditorium Mall, and also nearby along 130 Hanassi Avenue. Other book stores are located at the Haifa Azrieli Mall and at the Grand Kenyon Mall.
Food and Groceries
- Mega - large supermarket located within the Auditorium Mall.
- Several 24 hours small grocers are located along Hanassy Avenue.
- Super-Pharm - located within the Auditorium Mall.