Submissions/Wikis Love Leaders!
- Review no.
- Title of the submission
- Wikis Love Leaders!
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Michał Buczyński (Aegis Maelstrom)
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
- <use the Polish Wiki Userpage>
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Warsaw School of Economics, Polish Wikipedia and chapter
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
Wikis love leaders and leaders love wikis. Wikimedia need leadership and provide great opportunities for organisers, visionaries, mediators and mentors. Volunteer-based projects with limited hierarchies allow to make one's ideas happen amazingly fast. The key requirement is a distinction of leadership from dictatorship and making impact from making noise. Great wikileaders improve Wikimedia on a larger scale because of their hard work, serving as an example, establishing and promoting best practices, effective communication with the others.
In Wikimedia, anyone and everyone can be a leader, with a benefit to the project. More leadership means more insight, creativity, pleasant environment and higher standards. How to develop more leader in you and help your wiki to improve faster? As a long-time Polish Wikipedia sysop and a member of first Polish ArbCom, I will try to serve you some examples: from principles of English Wikipedia's The Cunctator to my personal experience. I am sure we will be able to discuss and share our best practices and I hope I will encourage you to further develop your leadership skills and use them in even broader way.
For part 1 see the slides. Part 2, see the original document by the user Cunctator, avaliable here: en:User:The Cunctator/How to build Wikipedia.
- Track (People and Community/Knowledge and Collaboration/Infrastructure)
- People and Community
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).