Submissions/Wikipedia Takes Your City
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Review no.
- Title of the submission
- Wikipedia Takes Your City (How to organize a Wikipedia photo scavenger hunt)
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Ryan Kaldari
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
- Country of origin
- United States
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Foundation
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
- So far, over a dozen cities have held Wikipedia photo scavenger hunts, contributing thousands of valuable images to Wikimedia projects. These events present a variety of unique challenges. This in-depth tutorial will cover everything you need to know to organize and facilitate a successful photo scavenger hunt for your city. Topics covered will include:
- How to easily assemble a list of targets to photograph
- How to promote and facilitate the event
- How to get hundreds of photos uploaded to Commons at once
- How to get them all properly described and categorized with minimal effort
- How to facilitate the participation of non-Wikimedians (people without accounts)
- I will discuss both logistical and technical issues, and present a quick overview of past events. I'll also give a walk-through of how to use the Photo Scavenger Hunt Tool on the Toolserver, both from a team's point of view and from an event administrator's point of view.
- Track (People and Community/Knowledge and Collaboration/Infrastructure)
- Culture and the Community
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).