Submissions/Wikimedia outreach efforts in India
This is an open submission for Wikimania 2011.
- Review no.
- Title of the submission
- Wikimedia outreach efforts in India
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
Tinucherian and Shijualex
- E-mail address
tinucherian (at) gmail (dot) com and shijualexonline (at) gmail (dot) com
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
User:Tinucherian & dreamingcherries.com , User:Shijualex & shijualex.wordpress.com
In 2010, Wikimedia Foundation identified India as one of the strategic areas of attention. India poses unique sets of potential for Wikimedia Foundation and the movement. India is one of the fastest growing countries for Internet penetration in the world. With 80 million Internet users today and annual growth rates of 20% forecasted every year for the next five years, the potential for vibrant Wikimedia communities in India is significant . There are 20 Indic language Wikipedias already and another 20 Indian languages are in incubation. English is a widely spoken language in India and one of the official languages of country. English Wikipedia alone has already 83,000 articles related to India.
Shiju Alex and Tinu Cherian, both volunteers, have been spearheading and working together with many other Wikimedia volunteers to spread awareness and popularity for Wikimedia projects in India. In this presentation, we try to present the challenges faced, methods and further plans of working closely with the Wikimedia Outreach programme in India.
We hope that this presentation will be particularly useful for Foundation, volunteers and chapters who are working in Wikimedia outreach especially in developing countries.
People and Community
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
Not sure. Depends on scholarship.
- Slides or further information (optional)
Will be provided.
- ↑ Wikimedia Movement Strategic Plan : Design and deploy catalyst teams to pilot activities spurring growth in readership and editing in the high-priority areas of India
- ↑ Forrester Research, Global Online Population Forecast, 2008 to 2013, India to have 3rd largest number of Internet users by 2013, India Express
- ↑ List of Indian language wiki projects List of Indian language wiki projects
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Ijon 08:10, 25 March 2011 (UTC)
- Hindustanilanguage 04:21, 28 March 2011 (UTC)
- Jayanta Nath 04:21, 28 March 2011 (UTC)
- Prashanthns 11:07, 28 March 2011 (UTC)
- Bishdatta 11:49, 28 March 2011 (UTC)
- Srikeit 14:02, 28 March 2011 (UTC)
- User:Hmundol 12:42, 29 March 2011 (UTC)
- Sodabottle 05:05, 29 March 2011 (UTC)
- Phoebe 21:18, 1 April 2011 (UTC)
- Santhosh.thottingal 04:51, 7 April 2011 (UTC)
- Psubhashish 04:52, 7 April 2011 (UTC)
- GerardM 04:53, 7 April 2011 (UTC)
- Anoopan 05:21, 7 April 2011 (UTC)
- Frank Schulenburg 16:22, 13 April 2011 (UTC)
- Marcus Cyron 15:52, 19 April 2011 (UTC)
- Steven (WMF) 20:59, 20 April 2011 (UTC)
- Odisha1 11:36, 25 April 2011 (UTC)
- Erik Zachte 13:35, 29 April 2011 (UTC)
- AniVar 04:45, 30 April 2011 (UTC)
- Vibhijain 12:04, 4 May 2011 (UTC)
- Manuel 19:34, 2 June 2011 (UTC)
- T.sujatha 13:01, 31 January 2012 (UTC)
- Add your username here.