30px No slides known
- Review no.
- Title of the submission
- Wikimedia Events: from Wikimania to WikiX and beyond
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Phoebe Ayers & friends
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
Every year at Wikimania I try to facilitate a discussion about the future of the conference. This year, I'd like to expand that discussion to focus on Wikimedia events in general. This will be the seventh annual global conference of Wikimedians, and Wikimania has gained a certain maturity. This year also marked the highly successful Wikipedia 10 events all across the globe. What is the future of events in our community, what role can in-person events play in community-building and recruitment, and what should be the model be for events going forward? Possible discussion topics include:
- the role of regional conferences and local meetups
- what support the WMF & chapters can (or should) provide for events
- the future of WikiX celebrations
- the future of Wikimania
- what governance structures and support for Wikimania (and other events) are needed? (the Wikimania Handbook, an ongoing volunteer committee, etc)
- best practices for events; the ideal calendar; and more
- events as recruitment tools: WikiAcademies and more
- Models from the outside world: Global Melt, Drumbeat, CC meets, unconferences, barcamps, library conferences and more: what can we learn?
The session will consist of short presentations and discussion, and will be adapted to the interests and suggestions of participants. Please edit this session and put your name down if you want to get involved or lead a topic. The goal of the session will be to: get a coherent picture of the wide range of events in our community, their development and planned future; develop several actionable ideas for supporting events on a community-wide scale; and develop a plan for shaping the future of Wikimania.
I am happy to work with the other proposed sessions on events (globalmelt, wikipedia 10) and will put together a short panel of presentations to guide discussion if accepted.
- Track (People and Community/Knowledge and Collaboration/Infrastructure)
- People and Community
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- See the Etherpad made during the session.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Aude 22:15, 1 April 2011 (UTC)
- Bejinhan 04:40, 2 April 2011 (UTC)
- Itzike 16:15, 2 April 2011 (UTC)
- Lodewijk 15:24, 3 April 2011 (UTC)
- Steven (WMF) 02:51, 4 April 2011 (UTC)
- Tinucherian 05:16, 6 April 2011 (UTC)
- Ivanmartinez 21:54, 12 April 2011 (UTC)
- Haxpett 22:51, 12 April 2011 (UTC)
- Marcus Cyron 15:52, 19 April 2011 (UTC)
- Vibhijain 11:28, 5 May 2011 (UTC)
- odder 21:54, 12 June 2011 (UTC)
- Amir E. Aharoni
- Geraki 06:00, 15 June 2011 (UTC)