This is an open submission for Wikimania 2011.
- Review no.
- Title of the submission
Wikimedia Projects on Mobile Devices
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
It's time for the Wikimedia projects to get serious about having a strong presence on mobile devices. This includes features phones, smart phones, tablets , etc. There are huge swaths of people in the world who might not have a direct connection to the internet but do have a cell phone that has some amount of data. Their should be no reason why they shouldn't have Wikipedia and our sister projects available to them in a mobile friendly format.
As a community we decided that we need to focus some of the foundations efforts on mobile and I'd love to give an update on what we've been doing.
We'll be discussing:
- The beginnings of the new mobile technical infrastructures
- Bringing contributions to mobile
- What we've learned from our on the ground research
- What we've learned as a community about mobile
- .. and more
- Track (People and Community/Knowledge and Collaboration/Infrastructure)
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Steven (WMF) 18:27, 19 April 2011 (UTC)
- Vibhijain 13:47, 4 May 2011 (UTC)
- Amir E. Aharoni