Submissions/Wiki Editing in the High School Classroom
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is an open submission for Wikimania 2011.
- Review no.
- Title of the submission
- Wiki Editing in the High School Classroom
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Mina Theofilatou
- E-mail address or username
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Evening High School of Argostoli, Kefalonia, Greece
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
- I am a teacher of Computer Science and Technology at Secondary Education level, and I have been using Wiki technologies - mainly Greek Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons - as a teaching tool in the Computer lab and classroom. My presentation will be based on a poster titled "Why the High School Student Became a Wikipedia Editor", which is to be presented at a Science Teachers' Conference (Scientix Brussels) in May 2011. Our experience in wiki-editing since 2007 has shown that assiging and guiding high school students in writing articles and uploading multimedia content to wikimedia projects has numerous positive outcomes: the students become active participants in a universe of knowledge which is Wikipedia, and this helps them acquire a love for learning and builds self-esteem. I will also be presenting a guide that I have written in Greek exclusively for students and beginners in Wikipedia editing. The guide is available for download at http://mywikipedia.ellak.gr/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/mywikipedia-tetradio.pdf
- Track (People and Community/Knowledge and Collaboration/Infrastructure)
- Knowledge and Collaboration
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Poster in A1 format
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Spiritia 13:04, 21 April 2011 (UTC)
- --Frank Schulenburg 14:22, 21 April 2011 (UTC)
- Sadads 15:07, 28 April 2011 (UTC)
- CT Cooper · talk 18:00, 28 April 2011 (UTC)
- Blahma 12:53, 1 May 2011 (UTC)
- Vibhijain 16:32, 7 May 2011 (UTC)
- Amir E. Aharoni