Submissions/WikiGuides and new users
30px No slides known
- Review no.
- Title of the submission
- WikiGuides and new users
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- James Alexander
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
- Jalexanader (work)/Jamesofur (volunteer)
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Foundation
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
How are we doing as a community obtaining, welcoming and retaining new users? How can we improve? Why should we? Did you know that 1000s of new accounts edit every day but that most are gone immediately?
We've been pouring over data (with a focus on the English Wikipedia) to try and answer these and other questions, confirm or deny the assumptions we as a community make and find out what we can and should do to make sure we have a healthy community base for the future development of the projects. We've also been using what we find to try and develop experiments and trials to see what we can do to try and make the new user experience better and easier with the help of an amazing group of experienced editors who volonteer to help reach out.
In this presentation we'll go over the data we found, the experiments we did and what we learned about the new users, about the guides themselves (and the community) and the experiments themselves as well as a comparision of what happens now to what happened in the past 5 years. We'll also engage in a discussion and workshop with the audience about what happened and to gage their opinion on what we missed and what we could try to help with recruitment and retention.
- Track (People and Community/Knowledge and Collaboration/Infrastructure)
- Wiki Culture and the Community
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Philippe (WMF) 23:44, 29 April 2011 (UTC)
- Steven (WMF) 01:11, 1 May 2011 (UTC)
- Vibhijain 16:32, 7 May 2011 (UTC)
- Manuel 19:33, 2 June 2011 (UTC)
- Amir E. Aharoni
- Geraki 05:54, 15 June 2011 (UTC)
- Roy Emanuel 06:58, 30 June 2011 (UTC)
- Mzk1 21:08, 31 July 2011 (UTC)
- Victuallers 10:41, 2 August 2011 (UTC)