This is an open submission for Wikimania 2011.
- Review no.
- Title of the submission
Using Webfonts in Mediawiki
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
Webfonts is a technology to server the web content with fonts embedded. The fonts are served from the server and it avoids the need for fonts installed in users system. This helps the readability of wiki pages in many languages where fonts are rare or not get installed by default in popular operating systems. There are many languages facing difficulty in serving content to users since many users complain that they don't have required fonts in theis system. Often such wiki projects gives extensive documentation on how to download and install fonts in their system. But this has many practical limitations. An extension is being developed for mediawiki to add webfonts feature. The tutorial is about how to add a webfont support for the wikiproject in a given language. More Info: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:WebFonts , Demo of the extension
- Track (People and Community/Knowledge and Collaboration/Infrastructure)
People and Community
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
No. I can present this tutorial only if I get scholarship.
- Slides or further information (optional)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).