Submissions/War and Peace: Writing Wikipedia Social Histories
- Review no.
- Title of the submission
- War and Peace: Writing Wikipedia Social Histories
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Maryana Pinchuk and Victoria Doronina
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
- Country of origin
- USA and UK/Belarus
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Foundation
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
The editors of the 270+ Wikipedia projects, especially the smaller ones, are often isolated from the largest and most well-known international projects (English, German, and French), because of language and time constraints. Even more critically, within all of the projects, large and small, the major events, milestones, and debates that have had a significant impact on the development of the community and the encyclopedia are contained in archived onwiki discussions and the memories of scattered groups of editors, with the result that most community members remain largely unaware not only of what occurs on other projects, but of the historical development of their own.
A pilot study of the Russian Wikipedia, one of the largest and most rapidly growing projects, can provide insight into possible methodological approaches and outcomes of composing Wikipedia social histories, as well as a preliminary foundation for longer and more in-depth research. In the long run, the accumulation of these types of studies would create a summary of general trends, illuminate meaningful cross-project comparisons, and suggest useful ways for both developing and well-established Wikipedia communities to continue to grow and flourish. Ultimately, the documentation of all Wikipedia social histories will provide a clearer, more culturally nuanced narrative of the entire Wikimedia movement.
- Track (People and Community/Knowledge and Collaboration/Infrastructure)
- People and Community
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Julle 19:55, 7 April 2011 (UTC)
- CT Cooper · talk 22:00, 8 April 2011 (UTC)
- --Frank Schulenburg 11:34, 14 April 2011 (UTC)
- Sadads 18:39, 15 April 2011 (UTC)
- Marcus Cyron 15:41, 19 April 2011 (UTC)
- Millosh 14:18, 20 April 2011 (UTC)
- Ironholds 22:17, 21 April 2011 (UTC)
- Erik Zachte 13:48, 29 April 2011 (UTC)
- Lior gimel 08:45, 3 May 2011 (UTC)
- Vibhijain 13:45, 4 May 2011 (UTC)
- I love MeatBall:CommunityLore. Nemo 21:27, 12 June 2011 (UTC) p.s.: but I can't come, overlaps... Nemo 10:08, 5 August 2011 (UTC)
- Amir E. Aharoni
- Shovel 11:49, 25 July 2011 (UTC)