Submissions/Translating to Nepali from other languages
This is an open submission for Wikimania 2011.
- Review no.
Translating to Nepali from other languages:
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
Author of the submission: RajeshPandey
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
- Country of origin
Country of origin:Nepal
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
This is a project that was developed while I was editing Nepali Wikipedia, specially replacing some texts from the articles that were imported from other languages. I was using word's find and replace functionality however I wanted those find and replace to use repeatedly, and I thought it would be nice to save what I replaced and use them later on again. I started to save those "find and replace texts". Later this program was developed as a result.
How does it work
A combination of rules could be produced programmatic-ally. The words were replaced by giving the preference of first come first serve basis. The rules that were formed by the initial word in the rule file would be processed initially compared to the words at the last. For example if “apple” was to be translated into “banana” and “cherry apple” was to be translated to “strawberry” and if “apple” would occur at the top would convert any occurrence of “cherry apple” into “cherry banana”. In such cases “cherry apple” should be placed above “apple” in the rules file.
The processing was done by adding texts in flat files and processing them. The input and the output would be provided in the application interface.
After soon implementing certain find and replace, he wished to identify the part of speech in the sentences and work instead. The identification would be done by an exact match of the words placed in different files according to the parts of speech. For example nouns were placed in a noun file, verbs were placed in a verb file and the adjectives were placed in a separate file. The main file would consist of any other unclassified words along with the rules illustrating how the noun, verb and adjectives would be handled.
- Track (People and Community/Knowledge and Collaboration/Infrastructure)
Knowledge and Collaboration
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Vibhijain 10:56, 5 May 2011 (UTC) Seems a difficult task. I think you should have a discussion on it at the Nepali Wiki.
- Amir E. Aharoni
- RajeshPandey 10:49, 22 April 2011 (UTC) RajeshPandey (Nepali wikipedia)