Submissions/Simulacrums of Wikipedia in Polish press - Comparative and Historic perspective
This is an open submission for Wikimania 2011.
- Review no.
- Title of the submission
- Simulacrums of Wikipedia in Polish press - Comparative and Historic perspective
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Bartosz Kosinski
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Jagiellonian University in Krakow
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
Wikipedia became first, extremely successful project of the global cooperation, using Wiki mechanism drawn up by Ward Cunningham in the mid 90s. This simple mechanism made great impact on the society, culture, management, social and practical fields of communication. New age of free culture, based on the global cooperation, on the culture of convergence has begun. From second side however, especially in case of the knowledge-based communities generating compendia of knowledge, also posed a threat in the receipt of the truth and reality. Problems in the ambiguous evaluation of this occurrence, the global reach and the remarkable influence on communities and the culture caused assuredly, that projects, such as Wikipedia quite often have become heroes of the press reports.
In the process of my presentation I will describe findings of my examinations which are grasping the way of communication about Wikipedia within all sorts of Polish paper press: universal, trade and specialist media. A frequency of announcing about Wikipedia and the character of statements will be analyzed. I want to juxtapose media directed at all sorts of recipients groups and put the temporal scale on it. Analysis of media will cover years 2001 – 2010, and groups of media directed to: the whole of society, computer specialists, women, men, teenagers, teachers, of minority groups (national and ethnic), businessmen.
The examination is supposed to enable to construct Wikipedia media images which will differ, depending on, what group they are being referred to. They will also evolve in time. I want to put these phenomena on the wider social, cultural and historical map and discover, what is supposed to build image of Wikipedia, as broad, overwhelming cultural phenomenon.
- Track (People and Community/Knowledge and Collaboration/Infrastructure)
- People and Community
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Slashme 09:41, 24 January 2011 (UTC)
- MADe 21:59, 24 January 2011 (UTC)
- Marcus Cyron 15:34, 19 April 2011 (UTC)
- Blahma 12:53, 1 May 2011 (UTC)
- Lior gimel 08:44, 3 May 2011 (UTC)
- Vibhijain 10:47, 5 May 2011 (UTC)
- Add your username here.