This is an open submission for Wikimania 2011.
- Review no.
- Title of the submission
Understanding Wikipedia Readers: Results from the Readership Survey
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
We will be presenting results from the Readership Survey that will be conducted in 16 countries at the household level to understand Wikipedia readers. The presentation will present data from the survey on the following topics:
- A demographic profile of Wikipedia readers. We'll share data on age, gender, nationality, country of origin etc to create a profile of Wikipedia readers.
- An online technology ecology of readers: We will be sharing data that will help us understand what other online activities readers pursue online, and how does reading Wikipedia fit into their online technology ecology. The survey will especially look into what kind of contributions make online (Facebook, Twitter, etc.), and see is there are any learnings for Wikimedia from these sites to increase participation. We'll share what kind of awareness do readers have about Wikipedia brand, and how it varies across countries. We will share data on how users find content in Wikipedia.
- Data will be presented to understand what are the barriers that stop readers from becoming editors. We'll also look at the rise of the mobile web and see whether more and more readers are shifting to reading Wikipedia on their phone.
- Funding. We'll share data on what percent of Wikipedia readers fund the Wikimedia movement and why.
- Track (People and Community/Knowledge and Collaboration/Infrastructure)
People and Community
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
This presentation will ideally be kept very concise at ~15 minutes, with ample time for discussion and questions.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).