This is an open submission for Wikimania 2011.
- Title of the submission
- Media Labs and Video on Wikipedia Update
- Review no.
- Type of submission
- Author of the submission
- Mdale 16:04, 2 May 2011 (UTC) ( mdale at wikimedia.org )
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Foundation, Kaltura
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
The presentation will look at real world projects in this area including: TimedMediaHandler which adds native support WebM video format and TimedText collaborative subtitle support to Wikimedia projects. The Kaltura HTML5 video editor which enables collaborative video editing and has been accessible as a preview gadget on commons.org  for some time, but only recently have browsers media support improved enough to make the application practical. Other Media Labs efforts such as firefogg uploading into the upload wizard, p2pnext HTML5 p2p video transport system and Universal Subtitles editor will also be highlighted.
These efforts will be presented with a focus on the development models used and how the process can be improved to be more inviting to innovative web application development within the Wikimedia community and mediaWiki technology platform.
- Track (People and Community/Knowledge and Collaboration/Infrastructure)
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Slides are not yet prepared, but previous years presentations are available.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Yaron Koren 22:10, 2 May 2011 (UTC)
- Vibhijain 13:05, 4 May 2011 (UTC)
- Nise81 11:19, 13 June 2011 (UTC)
- Add your username here.