Submissions/Interscript Transliteration A Case for Konkani Language
30px No slides known
- Review no.
- Title of the submission
RESOLVING A CONFLICT WITH THE HELP OF TECHNOLOGY: KONKANI WIKIPEDIA, ENABLING INTER SCRIPT TRANSLITERATION
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Gurudath Bantwalkar and Hari Prasad Nadig
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
- User:Konkani Manis, User:HPN
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- World Konkani Centre, Mangalore
- Personal homepage or blog
World Konkani Centre: http://www.vishwakonkani.org/ Hari Prasad Nadig: http://hpnadig.net/
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
Usage of multiple scripts in Konkani language has hindered sharing of knowledge between the communities that speak the same language but are separated by usage of script. Moreover the conflict over the usage of script in some official situations has created rift in the language community. Groups are at logger heads and the language is losing its ground in the schools as the focus of the activists is shifting to upholding the script of their choice from popularising the Konkani Language especially in Karnataka State. Since a considerable amount of literature has been created in some of the major scripts, the people who are comfortable with one script are opposing the other script to take a status of common script.
In the advent of Internet, technology has enabled an accessible knowledge sharing platform for Indian languages through Unicode. Presently the ability to ‘Search’ in Indic scripts as well as the ability to do ‘Transliteration’ and ‘Translation’ for the Indian language content has enabled more avenues.
An initial effort to create a Konkani Wikipedia lost its momentum because of script conflict. It was a real obstacle to the users to create four different pages in four scripts for each content page without which the content created in the language would limit itself for the specific region which the script is in use. Hence the Konkani language Wikipedia is still at the incubator stage.
Desirable Solution: A system which can allow user to create the content in the script of his/her choice and allow another user to read the same text in another script of his/her choice is the need of the hour. A extension for Media Wiki to transliterate between scripts would contribute to a resolution of a major conflict among Konkani speaking communities and few other Indian language communities that are facing the same issue.
- Track (People and Community/Knowledge and Collaboration/Infrastructure)
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
Yes, we will attend.
- Slides or further information (optional)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Hindustanilanguage 06:00, 11 April 2011 (UTC)
- Tinucherian 04:40, 6 April 2011 (UTC)
- Millosh 14:18, 20 April 2011 (UTC)
- Brion VIBBER 18:09, 29 April 2011 (UTC)
- Blahma 12:48, 1 May 2011 (UTC)
- Vibhijain 13:00, 4 May 2011 (UTC)
- -Sodabottle 03:53, 24 May 2011 (UTC)
- Suma Nadig
- AniVar 12:25, 24 May 2011 (UTC)
- Amir E. Aharoni