Submissions/Inter Lingual Wiktionary
This is an open submission for Wikimania 2011.
- Review no.
- Title of the submission
- Inter Lingual Wiktionary
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- KC Varghese
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
- Inter Lingual Wiktionary (WikiInteLictionary) is a proposal for a new version of Wiktionary which provides the users the meanings of words from any language in the same or any other language. From this Wiktionary people will become able to translate their words or any textual material from one language to another language.
This is very similar to Google Translate. InteLiWiktionary may implement much easily and user contributable. A database of words will be the spine of this project. The present databases of dictionary of different languages can be used in this project also.
Only thing what we require is an additional linking database in which we could link words of similar meaning of different language mutually. After linking a word to another word having same or similar meaning in a second language, the users will be able to get synonyms in a third language to which the word of the second language is linked to. In this way any one who use any language will get the word translated to any language in the WikiInteLictionary.
The linking can be done by any user who knows any 2 languages. But afterall he will be able to get meaning of words in any other languages.
For this linking purpose, we may use a base language like ‘Sanskrit’ as a common language as an inter-linker between different languages. In another model a word in a language can be linked to a word of another language which is linked to a third language.
To accommodate this, Wiktionary has to develop and provide a software interface.
- Track (People and Community/Knowledge and Collaboration/Infrastructure)
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).