Submissions/Integrating Wikis in Pre-service Education: Teacher-educators’ Perspective
30px No slides known
- Review no.
- Title of the submission
Integrating Wikis in Pre-service Education: Teacher-educators’ Perspective
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
Presentation and discussion
- Author of the submission
- Dr. Yehuda Peled - Ohalo Collage of Education, Western Galilee Collages and MOFET research institute
- Olzan Goldstein - Kaye Collage of Education
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Ohalo Collage of Education, Western Galilee Collages and MOFET research institute
- Kaye Collage of Education
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
The various aspects of using wikis in teaching by faculty members in Israeli teacher-education colleges were examined through a multiple-case design approach. The report focuses on characteristics of teaching with wikis: aims; course types; teaching methods; evaluation; content structure; characteristics of students collaborative learning and outcomes; involvement of faculty in the learning process; students' and teachers’ workload; teachers' insights about wikis’ impact on learning. Data was collected through semi-structured interviews with eleven teacher educators from six colleges of education, with analysis of the courses' wiki sites. Content-analysis techniques were used to examine the resulting transcript of the interviews. It was found that using wikis in teaching is complex and has its advantages and disadvantages. The research findings indicate that integrating wikis into the teaching pedagogy improves the quality of teaching and strengthens meaningful learning. It is important to expose student teachers to meaningful uses of wikis for educational purposes, thus providing them with successful models for their teaching practices.
- Track (People and Community/Knowledge and Collaboration/Infrastructure)
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Alexander Naumov 19:34, 9 July 2011 (UTC)