Submissions/InlineEditor: a new editing interface
I AM NOT COMING TO WIKIMANIA 2011 AFTER ALL - I'm sorry to those who would've liked to see this presentation. :-(
This is an open submission for Wikimania 2011.
- Review no.
- Title of the submission
InlineEditor: a new editing interface
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
Jan Paul Posma
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
Student at University of Groningen
- Personal homepage or blog
The InlineEditor extension provides a new way for all users, both novice and power users, to edit pages conveniently. It is the result of research started in the summer of 2010, which includes usability research. Because of the modular design of this extension, it is possible for developers to easily add functionality. It can be extended to help users do specific tasks, such as editing references or template calls. It can also be extended by adding clickable elements, such as editing categories, tables, or individual sentences.
There are several extensions and gadgets out there that could be integrated with InlineEditor. It is important to know the design ideas behind this extension when integrating such extensions with InlineEditor. Developers who want to experiment with editing interfaces can also use InlineEditor as a platform to rapidly prototype new ideas, and to have them rolled out quickly.
In this presentation we will look at this new interface; how usability research has heavily influenced its design; why it isn't available for use yet; how the new parser design that is in the works will really unlock its potential; how developers can really improve this interface by building on top; and we will briefly look at the pros and cons of using such an interface as the default for new users.
Wiki Infrastructure and Technology
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
Not available yet.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- MADe 20:34, 30 March 2011 (UTC)
- Ireas 18:01, 31 March 2011 (UTC)
- Multichill 12:04, 3 April 2011 (UTC)
- JuhaV 11:44, 14 April 2011 (UTC)
- Stanqo 3:14, 17 April 2011 (UTC)
- Yaron Koren 14:38, 17 April 2011 (UTC)
- Brion VIBBER 17:41, 29 April 2011 (UTC)
- Andrew Garrett
- Vibhijain 16:48, 7 May 2011 (UTC)
- Sadads 22:45, 9 May 2011 (UTC)
- Add your username here.