Submissions/How Wikipedia spreads to other media
Jump to navigation Jump to search
30px No slides known
- Review no.
- Title of the submission
How information on Wikipedia spreads to other media
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- MADe (Belgium; author, speaker)
- contributors of several smaller wikis (Polish, Bulgarian, Indish language) as well as the big ones (English, French, German).
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
Wikipedia is an important source of information on the internet. This presentation focuses on:
- which organisations use our information? Newspapers and other news websites, wikipedia-mirrors, discussion forums, search engines, other informational websites, metasites like Wolfram Alpha, Google cache...
- What types of information do they use (content of the infoboxes, the text, images & video's, external links on the page, content from other wikimedia-projects like wikibooks or wikinews, geographical information, ...)
- How do errors in Wikiprojects spread into other media? If an error is corrected in a wikipedia article, how long does it take for "the internet" to correct itself? Or does the wrong information stays online forever?
- How can we avoid errors to spread? Can this help us to fine-tune our anti-vandalism tools?
- And finally, how can we prevent wrong information to stay online forever? More frequent database dumps, wikipedia API, improved copyright warnings, ....
- Track (People and Community/Knowledge and Collaboration/Infrastructure)
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- I await the confirmation of my scholarship. Without a scholarship, I will not attend the conference.
- This presentation is based on the presentation at Wikimania Gdansk (2010). During that conference, I came into contact with a lot of new people. Thanks to them I extended the presentation with more examples.
- The content and tone of this presentation (professional, informative, amusing) will depend on the schedule.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Martina Nolte 22:28, 6 January 2011 (UTC)
- Spiritia 21:00, 17 January 2011 (UTC)
- CasteloBrancomsg 17:23, 19 January 2011 (UTC)
- CT Cooper 13:05, 20 January 2011 (UTC)
- jedi-kosa 9:41, 21 January 2011 (UTC)
- Georgiasouthernlynn 20:35, 28 January 2011 (UTC)
- HstryQT 03:10, 25 February 2011 (UTC)
- Ireas 07:41, 25 March 2011 (UTC)
- Casual 13:24, 25 March 2011 (UTC).
- Tinucherian 23:48, 26 March 2011 (UTC)
- Cassandro 10:32, 13 April 2011 (UTC)
- Marcus Cyron 15:20, 19 April 2011 (UTC)
- Erik Zachte 13:52, 29 April 2011 (UTC)
- Vibhijain 12:55, 4 May 2011 (UTC)
- DarTar 20:41, 5 May 2011 (UTC)
- Tkoch 10:54, 9 May 2011 (UTC)
- MARVEL 11:16, 1 August 2011 (UTC)