Submissions/Global Distribution of Wikipedia Edits and Reads
Jump to navigation Jump to search
30px No slides known
- Review no.
- Title of the submission
- Global Distribution of Wikipedia Edits and Reads
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Erik Zachte
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
- ezachte at wikimedia.org
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Data Analyst at the Wikimedia Foundation
- Personal homepage or blog
- http://infodisiac.com/blog , http://stats.wikimedia.org
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
- Wikimedia's mission to embrace the whole world is far from complete, both in terms of reach and of participation. New Wikistats functionality aims to improve our understanding of global activity patterns in a decidely visual way. A new web tool will provide an interactive animation (using new html5 technology) plus maps (bubble and heat maps) which visualize edits per Wikipedia language, distributed over time and place. I will demo the animation, show some of the maps (Aug 1: new maps added) and comment on what we can learn from these. Feedback on what other uses we might find for the software will be highly appreciated.
- Track (People and Community/Knowledge and Collaboration/Infrastructure)
- People and Community
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- + animation
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Vibhijain 12:53, 4 May 2011 (UTC)
- Nemo 20:17, 12 June 2011 (UTC)
- Amir E. Aharoni
- Ruslik 08:48, 25 July 2011 (UTC)
- Raystorm 17:44, 30 July 2011 (UTC)