This is an open submission for Wikimania 2011.
Notes from the sessions
- Prototype of Sparklez: http://sparklez.org/
- Video recap with the Mozilla community, featuring summary about Global Melt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7b4JiKST-k&feature=related
- Review no.
- Title of the submission
- Global Melt - how to make events not suck
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Michelle Thorne
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
- michelle [at] mozillafoundation [dot] org
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Mozilla Foundation
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
Global Melt is a workshop for members and leaders of global peer-driven movements to explore how accelerate projects and build community through events. Events are precious opportunities to do things together in real life (IRL), but often, these moments are squandered sitting in dark auditoriums or squeezed between too many unstructured panels.
How can we organize events that readily fit our principles of openness, collaboration, and participation? How do we make the most out of our time together face-to-face? What tools, tips, and tricks make events more meaningful?
In Haifa, we will rapidly develop paper prototypes and shared events resources that can be used immediately at Wikimania as well as across peer-driven communities. We will iterate on tools developed at Global Melt Berlin, a workshop that brought together representatives from Wikimedia staff, board and chapters, Creative Commons, Mozilla, and many other Free/Open projects, and hack on ways to increase the impact of live events.
- Track (People and Community/Knowledge and Collaboration/Infrastructure)
- People and Community
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Quora thread on what makes a conference great: http://www.quora.com/What-makes-a-conference-great
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Steven (WMF) 18:24, 19 April 2011 (UTC)
- Alina Mierlus (Mozilla)
- Millosh 14:19, 20 April 2011 (UTC)
- Sadads 15:02, 28 April 2011 (UTC)
- Vibhijain 07:09, 8 May 2011 (UTC)
- Nemo 20:16, 12 June 2011 (UTC)
- Amir E. Aharoni
- Moka 23:23, 13 June 2011 (UTC)
- Xelawafs 11:18, 22 June 2011 (UTC)
- --Gomà 14:58, 20 July 2011 (UTC)
- Nicole Ebber (WMDE) 15:44, 24 July 2011 (UTC)
- Da voli 19:14, 29 July 2011 (UTC)