Submissions/GLAMDerby - Collaborating with a smaller museum
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Review no.
- Title of the submission
- GLAMDerby - Wikimedia UK managing change with Derby museums
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Victuallers -Roger Bamkin, Nick Moyes et al
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Derby Museum
- Personal homepage or blog
- see bio here
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
- Following a strong involvement with the Backstage Pass at the British Museum in June 2010 I decided to see if this model of co-operation could be applied to a smaller museum. What are the advantages to a small museum of collaboration? How do you change the barriers to partnership? In January 2011, Wikimedia UK decided to collaborate with Derby Museums in a move that was welcomed by Jimmy Wales. By the time the Backstage Pass happened in April we had managed two policy changes in the museum; installed QR codes; written Wikipedia articles, translated the Derby and Museum page into a dozen languages. By the day of the pass we had removed the monolingual QR codes and installed the new Multi-lingual QRpedia codes developed by the author and Terence Eden. (We had also seen the main contact person in the museum made redundant.) The collaboration continues with a multi-lingual competition that has been funded by Derby Museums with a closing date in September. How did we change? How and why did a small museum create more change?
- Did we crowdsource a thousand articles and translations? You can still help - Who will submit an article during Wikimania? ... and in what language?
- Have you loaded a QR Code reader ready for the talk? Try it on the QR code shown - the url is for the Indonesian version - but try it and see what happens!
- Track (People and Community/Knowledge and Collaboration/Infrastructure)
- Wiki and Education - Wiki in Knowledge Collaboration
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Well its accepted - See you there!
- Slides or further information (optional)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Sadads 18:31, 15 April 2011 (UTC)
- Marcus Cyron 15:15, 19 April 2011 (UTC)
- Spiritia 13:25, 21 April 2011 (UTC)
- Beat Estermann 21:14, 28 April 2011 (UTC)
- Missvain 01:41, 29 April 2011 (UTC)
- Witty lama 06:00, 1 May 2011 (UTC)
- Vibhijain 12:53, 4 May 2011 (UTC)
- Aude 18:49, 10 May 2011 (UTC)
- Mietchen 02:51, 27 May 2011 (UTC)
- Amir E. Aharoni
- Geraki 05:48, 15 June 2011 (UTC)
- HstryQT 18:49, 30 July 2011 (UTC)
- iopensa 12:51, 31 July 2011 (UTC)
- Add your username here.