Submissions/CoSyne: Multilingual Content Synchronization with Wikis
- Review no.
- Title of the submission
- CoSyne: Multilingual Content Synchronization with Wikis
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- A Bronner
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
- Country of origin
- The Netherlands
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision ; University of Amsterdam
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
- CoSyne is a European research & development project concerning the synchronization of multilingual content in wiki environments. The project brings together several areas of active research: statistical machine translation, recognizing textual entailment and structural analysis of wiki pages. The project's objective is to develop a system that identifies overlapping segments in different language versions of a page, translates only non-overlapping segments and finds optimal insertion points for translations in order to preserve coherence. The output of an automated multilingual synchronization process is not expected to be satisfactory. Therefore the second objective of the project is to let wiki users correct the output, analyze user corrections and exploit them in order to gradually improve performance using self-learning techniques. The research is led by four academic institutions: University of Amsterdam, Dublin City University, Fondazione Bruno Kessler, and Heidelberg Institute for Theoretical Studies. Development and evaluation are done in private wiki environments of two end-user partners: Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision and Deutsche Welle. A third end-user partner that will participate in the evaluation is Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland. The project focuses on several European languages and uses MediaWiki software as wiki platform. The project started in March 2010 and will continue till March 2013. The presentation at Wikimania 2011 will introduce the project to the Wikimedia community, will discuss the challenges it faces and will explain the role of users in its success. CoSyne is a system under development. The project consortium plans to present again at Wikimania 2012 and report on its progress.
- Track (People and Community/Knowledge and Collaboration/Infrastructure)
- Wiki Infrastructure and Technology
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
1st prototype demo (10 minutes screencast):
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).