Submissions/Ask the Developers
This is an open submission for Wikimania 2011.
Transcribed on Etherpad
- Review no.
- Title of the submission
- Ask the Developers
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- panel (if possible: fishbowl session)
- Author of the submission
- Daniel Kinzler
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
- Daniel Kinzler (WMDE)
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Germany
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
This session provides a forum for the community to ask questions to developers, make suggestions, and discuss long standing issues. The hackings days allow developers to meet and work together, but they lack an opportunity to exchange information with the community. This session is supposed to provide this opportunity.
At past Wikimanias and other events, wikipedians would try to find a developer in some break between sessions, to ask some question that had been on their mind for a while. But that only works if there is time, and people actually know who to ask, and when. Having a session for this purpose in the program will hopefully help to make it easier for people to ask their question, and to get an answer from the person who knows most about the issue. Also, having a scheduled session for this allows questions and answers to be documented, so more people can benefit.
This session will hopefully help to elevate the perceived lack of communication between developers and the community, and ease the frustration caused by long standing requests not being implemented. Shedding some light on the development priorities and operational difficulties should provide people with a better understanding of what developers and system administrators are doing, and why.
The topic of the panel is very broad - basically, it can cover anything that someone might want to ask the developers or system admins. It may be anticipated that the following topics may come up:
- Future of usability development
- Future of media support / GLAM
- WYSIWYG-Editing / "real parser"
- code review workflow
- community request workflow
- OpenStreetMap integration
- Role of the Toolserver
In the end, developers should have a better idea of what the community wants, and what problems there are with the current mode of operation. And the community should have a better idea of what the developers are doing, what the road map is, and why some seemingly trivial things are more tricky than they may look.
- Track (People and Community/Knowledge and Collaboration/Infrastructure)
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Asaf asked me to check first if people would be interested in such a session. I sent an e-mail to wikimania-l and internal-l on January 20, and four people expressed an interest within hours. So I suppose people would like a developer q/a.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Delphine (notafish)
- CT Cooper
- Phoebe 20:36, 22 January 2011 (UTC)
- WereSpielChequers 22:35, 22 January 2011 (UTC)
- Slashme 09:32, 24 January 2011 (UTC)
- might be interesting to know why something doesnt work and takes time. Juan de Vojníkov 16:52, 24 January 2011 (UTC)
- Ryan lane 00:17, 28 January 2011 (UTC)
- Multichill 13:56, 29 January 2011 (UTC)
- Church of emacs 17:57, 6 April 2011 (UTC)
- Stanqo 03:23, 17 April 2011 (UTC)
- Millosh 14:22, 20 April 2011 (UTC)
- Jonas AGX 23:12, 21 April 2011 (UTC)
- MetalBrasil 15:37, 22 April 2011 (UTC)
- JanPaul123 21:31, 26 April 2011 (UTC)
- Sumanah 21:55, 26 April 2011 (UTC)
- Erik Zachte 14:33, 29 April 2011 (UTC)
- Brion VIBBER 17:42, 29 April 2011 (UTC)
- kidzangi 05:59, 30 April 2011 (UTC)
- Andrew Garrett
- Eloquence 03:47, 1 May 2011 (UTC)
- Blahma 12:47, 1 May 2011 (UTC)
- Vibhijain 12:43, 4 May 2011 (UTC)
- Juttavd 23:32, 10 May 2011 (UTC)
- Waldir 14:19, 19 May 2011 (UTC)
- Dror Snir 15:33, 24 May 2011 (UTC)
- Amir E. Aharoni
- Ruslik 08:58, 25 July 2011 (UTC)
- Roy Emanuel 08:03, 26 July 2011 (UTC)
- Krinkle 20:09, 31 July 2011 (UTC)
- Mzk1 21:12, 31 July 2011 (UTC)