Submissions/A brief introduction to MediaWiki extension development
- Review no.
- Title of the submission
A brief introduction to MediaWiki extension development
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
agarrett at wikimedia dot org
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
MediaWiki extensions provide an incredibly versatile and modular framework for modifying the behaviour of MediaWiki. However, the documentation on creating a MediaWiki extension can be intimidating and sparse. This workshop is a practical "down the rabbit hole" introduction to developing a MediaWiki extension — which, itself, is an excellent introduction to MediaWiki development.
This workshop will include an overview of the general architecture of a MediaWiki extension, including technical details, interfaces, best practices, conventions and common pitfalls. It will be supplemented by numerous examples.
Some of the tasks that will be covered will include:
- Extending the parser with new wiki markup.
- Modifying MediaWiki's interface behaviour with hooks.
- Adding new special pages.
- Keeping your extension secure.
- Track (People and Community/Knowledge and Collaboration/Infrastructure)
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).