Submissions/"Get Jimmy off my screen!" - the donations model for the 2010-2011 fundraiser
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Review no.
- Title of the submission
- "Get Jimmy off my screen!" - the donations model for the 2010-2011 fundraiser.
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Philippe Beaudette (Head of Reader Relations, Wikimedia) and Megan Hernandez (Head of Fundraiser, Wikimedia)
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
- The Wikimedia Foundation's 2010-2011 fundraiser was a stunning success, breaking every record previously set for revenue, and was the shortest in history. This wasn't accomplished through luck alone - the skills of hundreds of people were put to the test through the Wikimedia movement. This presentation will focus on the fundraiser from the perspective of Foundation staff, and take you through the decision making process, what makes a "good" or "bad" message; analysis that was used; and the community perspectives that were brought to bear. We'll discuss a model for next year, and hopefully begin to have a shared understanding of how the Fundraiser will and should function for the future. For this panel discussion, we won't just focus on the experience of staff and chapters, but will instead focus on sharing the story of how the fundraiser worked, and identifying best (and worst!) practices for the future. In addition to looking backwards to evaluate the 2010-2011 fundraiser, we'll share early planning for the 2011-2012 fundraiser, and discuss the challenges that come with fundraising in a global market, with various payment systems, currencies, and cultural norms. We'll talk about the role of chapters in fundraising, the role of the independent Wikimedian, and the role of the Foundation. This will be an excellent chance to influence early decision-making for the 2011-2012 fundraiser.
- Track (People and Community/Knowledge and Collaboration/Infrastructure)
- People and Community
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Yes - both Megan and Philippe
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Slides will be created and made publicly available. Slides are available at my website.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- (As author). Philippe (WMF) 00:23, 28 February 2011 (UTC)
- Sky Harbor 02:55, 28 February 2011 (UTC)
- Jalexander 06:19, 28 February 2011 (UTC)
- CT Cooper · talk 16:22, 1 March 2011 (UTC)
- Christine (WMF) 16:02, 4 March 2011 (UTC)
- Fluffernutter 16:14, 7 March 2011 (UTC)
- Helder Ribeiro 16:24, 15 March 2011 (UTC)
- Sebmol 22:34, 15 March 2011 (UTC)
- Tinucherian 23:35, 26 March 2011 (UTC)
- Casual 20:25, 29 March 2011 (UTC)
- Sadads 10:32, 31 March 2011 (UTC)
- Bejinhan 03:45, 3 April 2011 (UTC)
- odder 11:49, 3 April 2011 (UTC)
- Steven (WMF) 02:52, 4 April 2011 (UTC)
- Tobias 17:58, 6 April 2011 (UTC)
- MetalBrasil 17:39, 12 April 2011 (UTC)
- Earlymen message me! 05:07, 22 April 2011 (UTC)
- JanPaul123 21:30, 26 April 2011 (UTC)
- Lvova 04:36, 27 April 2011 (UTC)
Anthere 11:12, 27 April 2011 (UTC)sigh, collides with mine :(((
- Andrew Garrett
- Vibhijain 12:41, 4 May 2011 (UTC)
- ProtoplasmaKid 20:53, 24 May 2011 (UTC)
- Amir E. Aharoni
- Da voli 19:59, 29 July 2011 (UTC)
- Raystorm 18:03, 30 July 2011 (UTC)
- Nemo 21:52, 30 July 2011 (UTC)