Submissions/Wikipedia and Wikinews: differences between news articles and encyclopedic news
- Review no.
- Title of the submission
- Wikipedia and Wikinews: differences between news articles and encyclopedic news
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Iván Martínez and Dennis Tobar
- E-mail address or username
- ProtoplasmaKid and Superzerocool
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Wikimedia México/Wikimedia Chile
- Personal homepage or blog
Wikinews is a project of the Wikimedia Foundation has had a lower average acceptance, since 2005, it delivers news in 20 languages. Unlike Wikipedia, this project seeks write news of each day, for which the editors, or wikireporters, help it with writing articles to submit a story that has happened in the world.
Many users of Wikinews come from Wikipedia, where there are many problems of adaptation that are derived for a different way of writing and presentation of information on the page, which represents a challenge for Wikinews users to able help new users to cooperate with the project.
However, on several occasions, the new users may learn by trial and error, which means that most of them leave the project, and the Wikinews veteran users can not retain and expand the community of users who can contribute. In December 2010 statistics, only 27 users are considered as very active (more than 100 edits in the month) throughout the project , 3084 against reporters who have published at least once .
These indicators will invite us to reflect why we can not have more participation from users who are in the projects of the Foundation and how to reuse Wikipedia content on Wikinews articles, but not necessarily the first to absorb the second, but pose a effective synergy between the objectives of both projects, so that differences can be minimized and so that publishers do not have to switch between the styles of writing and meets the quality of content that readers expect Wikinews.
- Track (People and Community/Knowledge and Collaboration/Infrastructure)
- People and Community
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Millosh 14:20, 20 April 2011 (UTC)
- Vibhijain 13:49, 4 May 2011 (UTC)
- Tkoch 11:00, 9 May 2011 (UTC)
- (As author) ProtoplasmaKid 20:53, 24 May 2011 (UTC)
- Amir E. Aharoni
- Aleposta 14:27, 26 June 2011 (UTC)
- Ruslik 09:18, 25 July 2011 (UTC)