Submissions/Wikimedia Operations Overview
From Wikimania 2011 • Haifa, Israel
This is an open submission for Wikimania 2011.
- Review no.
- Title of the submission
- Wikimedia Operations Overview
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Rob Halsell
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
- RobH firstname.lastname@example.org
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
- Wikimedia's projects are currently served from two sites world-wide, a small footprint for such projects like Wikipedia. Wikipedia and its sister projects are served off of less than five hundred servers. Nearly the entirety of the site is run off open source software, and on industry standard server platforms. Of the currently two deployed datacenter sites, only one houses the actual databases (in Tampa, FL, USA., designated pmtpa/sdtpa), the other is our caching center based out of the Netherlands (designated esams).
- Wikimedia also recently deployed into a brand new facility in Ashburn, VA (designated eqiad). We will go over the general deployment plan and implementation, challenges, and facility. Also covered will be how we will (or may already have done so by the time of Wikimania 2011) integrate it into our current datacenter deployments.
- This presentation will be a mid to high level overview of our infrastructure, including our monitoring tools and software used in day to day site operations. As such, it should be appropriate for those of varying technical levels. The overview will include our high level configuration of servers and software, including our networking layout and software deployment tools. All of this information is available in other sources, this presentation will attempt to cover them in a cohesive review.
- Track (People and Community/Knowledge and Collaboration/Infrastructure)
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Will provide later
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Phoebe 23:59, 28 April 2011 (UTC)
- Brion VIBBER 17:39, 29 April 2011 (UTC) The new Virginia DC is the biggest change in WMF's server infrastructure in years -- definitely of interest!
- Vibhijain 13:48, 4 May 2011 (UTC)
- Amir E. Aharoni
- Dror Snir 09:13, 25 July 2011 (UTC)
- Jeremyb 09:21, 5 August 2011 (UTC)